Fancy Cakes by Leslie bakery is an award winning birthday cake designer located in Bethesda Maryland, MD, and has the best Birthday cakes in the entire Washington DC metro area including cakes in Northern Virginia, VA, Alexandria and Arlington.We service a wide area from delivering cakes in Frederick Maryland, Baltimore Maryland and Annapolis. Feb 9, 2018 - This Pin was discovered by CakesDecor.com. Discover (and save!) your own Pins on Pinterest. Baum Torte/Baum Kuchen (German Tree Cake ) Food.com sugar, butter, semi-sweet chocolate chips, vanilla extract, apricot jam and 12 more German Apfel Torte Food52. Aug 13, 2013 - Birthday cake for my father who loves playing Bridge.
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This German Blitz Torte recipe is such a quick and easy cake to make! Even though this recipe looks long and complicated, it isn't. Blitz Torte can be whipped together quickly with ingredients you probably already have on hand and the results are yummy!
I'm including two recipes for different fillings: My Mutti's custard one and my (Oma's .. that's me!) whipped cream one. Check out both and you decide!
For something even more special, add strawberries or other berries to the filling. Decorate this German Blitz Torte with whipped cream and more berries - a real treat! Yes, this is a quick German recipe at its BEST!
Blitz Torte aka ..
There are so many different names for this cake (or ones very similar) such as Berliner Luft Torte (Berlin Air Torte), Himmelstorte (Heaven's Torte), Tausenblättertorte (Thousand Leaves Torte), Jensen Torte, Jensen Hansen Torte, and even Schwimmbadtorte (Swimming Pool Torte)!
Personally, I like Blitz Torte, which is what I grew up with. Why? Blitz means lightning or with lightning speed, and that's what this cake is. Speedy to make! And, speedy to eat!
Grab your copy of Oma's favorites in her Special Occasion German Cakes & Tortes e-Cookbook.
Take a peek at all Oma's eCookbooks. They make sharing your German heritage a delicious adventure!
Changing Mutti's recipe ..
Below is the first time I made Mutti's Blitz Torte and filled it with whipped cream. This is the only way I've made it since then! So easy and so good!
I use a cake ring to put around the layers when I'm 'building' the final cake. Keeps everything nice and contained. Not necessary, but nice.
Pride comes before the fall!
This German Blitz Torte recipe is one cake that I made when I was still quite young and wanted to impress my friends. Nothing quite like showing off with a cake that looks so difficult, tastes so good, and at the same time, so easy to make.
However, I have to admit, showing off is not good. It leads to embarrassing situations. When I was eleven and staying at my Aunt's who lived on the other side of the Ontario, I figured I would show her what a great baker I was. I had this Blitz Torte recipe memorized.
So I started out. What I didn't know, though, was that there were certain rules on how to make meringue. At home I never had any problems. I always used a clean bowl and clean beaters when making this meringue recipe because my Mutti had more than one set.
At my Aunt's, I needed to reuse the beaters I had just used to make the batter. I quickly rinsed them and started to use them. My Aunt tried to tell me that I needed to really clean the beaters to make sure there was no grease of any kind on them. I told her it didn't matter. OH, how I wish I would have listened to her!
Of course, the egg whites wouldn't beat up with the contamination of the batter in them. I needed to start the meringue over with 4 new egg whites in a very clean bowl with very clean beaters. I learned my lesson on PRIDE that day!
Also, I learned to make the Meringue first and then put in the fridge. Then make the batter. No chance of contamination!
Above is my Muti's Blitz Torte recipe that has the custard filling. It's what I grew up with and is delicious. A bit more work the just using the whipping cream. You choose which you like!
Ready to make this Blitz Torte?
German Blitz Torte Recipe
Even though German Blitz Torte recipe looks long and complicated, it isn't. It can be whipped together quickly with ingredients you probably already have on hand and the results are yummy!
I'm including two recipes for different fillings: My whipped cream filling and my Mutti's custard filling. Choose one!
Gateway lifestyle casino casino nsw. 30 minutes
70 minutes + cooling time
Makes 8 servings
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sliced or chopped almonds
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp almond extract
Whipped Cream Filling
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 packages of Dr. Oetker's Sahnesteif (Whip It)
Poker Torte Rezept Cookies
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour 2 8-inch layer pans with removable bottoms. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until frothy (soft peak stage). Gradually beat in sugar and baking powder until stiff and glossy. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks.
- Mix together flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture. Add milk and almond extract and mix well.
- Spread batter into pans. It will be a thin layer of batter. Use a wet spoon to help spread it out.
- Spread half of meringue over batter in each pan.
- Sprinkle each pan with almonds.
- Bake cake until cake tests done and meringue is set, about 35 - 40 minutes. Cool.
- While cake is baking, make filling (see below).
- Remove cake from pans. Let cool on rack. Place one layer on serving plate with the meringue side up. If you have a cake ring (shown in collage below), place it around cake.
- Spread filling on layer.
- Place other layer on top with meringue side up. Carefully remove cake ring, if using.
- Decorate with whipped cream if desired. Keep refrigerated.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut or an electric knife .. they both work well.
Whipped Cream Filling
- Whip the cream, adding the Whip It as per package instructions. Use this to fill the cake. Add sugar, if desired.
- Mix milk, sugar, and corn starch together. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Pour some of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk and mix. Pour egg mixture back into rest of hot milk and return to heat and bring just to boiling point.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Cool and add almond or vanilla extract.
- If you are making the whipped cream filling, you will an extra egg yolk left over (that you're not using for the custard filling), you can added it to the batter and only use 4 tbsp milk in the batter.
- You can add raspberries (or other berries) to the whipped cream filling.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
You might like these
Claudia's Chocolate Cream Torte made Just like Oma
Claudia's Chocolate Cream Torte is SO wunderbar. It's a traditional German cake and you'll love how easy it is to make.
Traditional Black Forest Cake Recipe made Just like Oma
This traditional Black Forest Cake recipe is one of the easier ones to make. Make it for your birthday child. Make it for your Kaffeeklatsch. Make it just for hubby and you. WUNDERBAR!
Best Chocolate Recipe - 'Schokoladentorte' made Just like Oma
Easily the BEST chocolate recipe, the REAL German chocolate cake has one of the best chocolate frosting recipe I know. This cake is probably not what you were expecting though.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
German Chocolate Cake
Everybody always told me they loved the German chocolate cake. I always thought they meant a Chocolate Torte. Then they would tell me about it and I
Lebkuchen ~ Easy German Gingerbread Cookies made Just like Oma
These German gingerbread cookies, or Lebkuchen, are such a traditional cookie to have for Christmas. They're very easy to make, there's no reason to buy them.
German Red Cabbage Recipe made Just like Oma
This German red cabbage recipe uses apples to enhance the flavor. Super easy to make and tastes even better when reheated the next day. Definitely a favourite!
* * * * *
Poker Torte Rezept Using
German Blitz Torte Recipe made Just like OmaBy Oma Gerhild Fulson
This German Blitz Torte is such a quick and easy cake to make - great for holidays and birthdays. Blitz means lightning and this cake IS lightning fast to make! Really!
Ingredients: eggs,sugar,baking powder,sliced almonds,butter,milk,flour,almond extract,whipping cream,Whip It (whipped cream stabilizer),
For the full recipe, scroll up ..
Words to the Wise
'The words of the godly are like sterling silver; the heart of a fool is worthless.
The words of the godly encourage many, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense.'
Proverbs 10:20-21 (NLT)
Top of German Blitz Torte Recipe
- › ›